Hong Mao Mian Jia aka Ang Moh Wanton Noodles – Gastronomic Ruminations

My favourite wanton noodle joint in Singapore has a very interesting name, “Hong Mao Mian Jia 红毛面家” in Mandarin. It’s more commonly known as “Ang Moh Wanton Mee” amongst the regular clients. For the uninitiated, “wanton” are dumplings and “Ang Moh” is a local slang for Caucasians.

On weekends, it’s at least a half hour wait to be served so consider yourself forewarned. Currently located at Joo Chiat Road, the shop operates a queue system. Get your queue number and place your order when you arrive, then wait patiently for the numbers to tick by on the display. This is a welcome change from the arbitrary “queue” system that was in operation at its previous location in a coffeeshop along Tembeling Road.

Ang Moh Wanton Noodles @ Joo Chiat

Wanton Mee @ S$3

Toss the firm and springy noodle strands with the sauce that fills the bottom of the plate. Next, enjoy the bite in the noodles and savour the saltiness of the seasoning that is fired up by the almost gentle spiciness of the chili sauce. The flavour is enhanced by the use of lard, in its crisp, browned form and also the fat that was rendered in the frying process. The sliced Char Siew was just a little too sweet for my liking but thankfully was not excessively dry or tough.

_DSC0094

Wanton Soup @ S$3

The wantons here are Singapore-style so they’re essentially dumplings made with seasoned minced pork and do not have prawns in them, unlike the ones in Hong Kong. I love dumplings, so we ordered an additional bowl of wanton soup. The wantons were tasty, juicy morsels floating in a bowl of steaming hot broth with crunchy sections of Chye Sim (Chinese Mustard Green) and just a little more rendered lard to smoothen the texture of the vegetables on the tongue during consumption. I love drowning my wantons in the chili sauce that is gently piquant without bringing tears to the eyes. The Wanton Noodles and Chili Sauce here are a Must-Try!

Before you start getting up in arms about the use of lard here, consider the following: Lard is rarely used in cooking these days largely as it is high in saturated fat. Saturated fat increases the bad cholesterol and is avoided by the increasingly health-conscious consumer. However, studies have shown that Trans fat (found in processed food containing partially hydrogenated oils and commercial cooking vegetable oils) tend to increase bad cholesterol and decrease good cholesterol. Moderation is key. Since, some fat is allowed in normal dietary consumption, why not indulge in the rich flavour that lard lends to this dish once in a while unless expressly forbidden by your doctor?

Shy little French boy eating his Ang Moh Wanton Noodles

I’ve always wondered why the shop was called Ang Moh since the people running it are definitely local, my folks couldn’t explain it either so it was especially amusing when we chanced upon a French family of four having lunch there the previous weekend. They seemed to be regulars as the shy little boy was comfortable enough with one of the uncles at the shop to sit and chat with him after lunch.

Hong Mao Mian Jia's Store Front @ Joo Chiat Road

Hong Mao Mian Jia 红毛面家

aka Ang Moh Wanton Noodles

182 Joo Chiat Road,

Singapore 427453

Operating Hours:

7 am to 3 pm daily, except Mondays.

Facebook Twitter Email Pinterest Plusone Delicious

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Author:superfinefeline

I'm a caffeine addict & must have my caffeine fix on a daily basis. I started this food blog on 27 September 2006 and moved my blog from its blogspot address to my own domain name, www.superfinefeline.com on 28 July 2011.

19 Responses to “Hong Mao Mian Jia aka Ang Moh Wanton Noodles – Gastronomic Ruminations”

1. zeezzen
    May 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

They are closing down! This wed!

• May 29, 2012 at 12:01 am #

Thanks for keeping me posted! I heard that the owner is very sick and that the business has been sold off. So sad!!! I love their chili, wanton mee & fried wanton!

• June 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Yes, it is totally not the same anymore especially the chilly & wanton. Her bro cookedl the noodle equally good like hers. Hopefully, we could find her bro if it is not rumored.

• August 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

I haven’t been back since they switched hands but will try to find the time to do so and let you guys know how it goes. :)

2. Andy L
    June 1, 2012 at 8:31 am #

Well I don’t think it’s closing down, just went there this morning and it’s open for business. Went in ordered and it’s still taste the same.

• June 3, 2012 at 4:56 am #

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comment.

I went there on 29 & 30 May 2012 because I was already suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

The regular operators told me that they sold the business and that the new operators start on 1 June 2012.

I walked past on 2 June 2012, the people cooking the noodles are unfamiliar. I will give it a try after the new operators have settled down.

Have a nice Sunday!

Cheers!
      Karen

3. Darren
    June 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

I have been eating this noodle since 32 years ago and I really felt so lost when I couldn’t see the same Aunty there.

I tried the new operator on 2 jun. the taste is really not the same.

Aunty used to have a good 头手 to help her until early this year. I heard he went to setup his own stall. I am searching high and low on his whereabouts. Anyone who knows please help to inform ….really feeling a withdrawal syndrome now. Thanks!!

• June 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm #

Hi Darren,

I’ve replied to your post on the Facebook page.

I have no idea where he has gone and will keep you posted if I hear of anything. I hope my readers will also share the information if they find him.

Cheers!
      Karen

4. June 18, 2012 at 12:24 am #

To those people who are trying to use the comments on this blog as a means of furthering your own personal agenda (eg. discrediting your competition), do kindly take that nonsense elsewhere.

5. max
    June 25, 2012 at 11:55 am #

i have been patronising this stall 4times since owner change hand and i must say standard has drop alot not used to be the same taste as before.do not think will go bk again at least for the moment

• August 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

Maybe its teething problems. Give them some time to settle down.

6. Grace
    July 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Hi, my family and I have been feeling the same as Darren… Really miss Ang Moh’s wanton noodle and had been searching high and low in SG for something similar… But guess its irreplaceable …

Still remember we always complain about the waiting time but now wanna wait also dun have the chance anymore… If anyone found the new store please share the details..

Thanks :)

Grace

• August 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Hi Grace,

I’ve had wanton mee at quite a few places and none tastes like Ang Moh’s. I should try to find the time to check out the noodles under the new management soon and hope it tastes like how it used to.

I agree about complaining about the waiting time (averaged an hour each time I visited) and hope the new operators are as good. Else do keep us posted on information for the new store.

Cheers!
      Karen

7. MPST
    July 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Was there in the morning.
    I have been there once after their change and again this morning.
    It seems like the major changes have taken place.
    Char Siew are a lot drier as compared, ( I am not too much a fan of either of the char Siew)
    Dumplings IMHO, I still like the previous.
    And now, there is a new condiment section for green chilli, the chilli paste and pork lard.
    Not forgetting a change in operation timing.
    Tues to sun, 7 am to 8 pm

But anyway, still prefer the old one. Anyone know where the helper set up his stall yet? The old kopitiam at trembling road now sells teochew porridge..
    Thought he might return back there in the beginning…

• August 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Thanks for the update on the operating hours and changes. Didn’t they always have a condiment section? I always went there to get my chili in the past.

• docd
        January 6, 2013 at 4:07 am #

i definitely miss local style wonton mein. its definitely all about the chili paste.

my wife gets the ang moh! comment haha hurled at her without fail so they must have gotten their name from having caucasian customers.

sad to see yet another part of the old days disappearing.

• January 24, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Hey @docd,

I agree! The chili paste is what makes the dish for most wanton mee. It’s sad that hawker food these days are a shadow of their glorious past so enjoy as much as you can while it lasts. :)

8. docd
    January 30, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

mystery solved. apparently the ah gong who started the stall was an ang moh who was adopted by a chinese family. the stall has since changed owners though.

9. June 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Hello everybody,

*Drumroll!*

Ang Moh Wanton Mee has reopened under a different name! If I wasn’t still coughing my lungs out thanks to our “lovely”, hazy neighbours, I’d be dancing and I would have been there last week for their first few days in business.

Tell me how is the new location! http://on.fb.me/1aNgMaR